Home > News > Leicester City fans banned from King Power Stadium after firework set off inside ground
News

Leicester City fans banned from King Power Stadium after firework set off inside ground

Leicester City has banned three fans from home matches for the rest of the season after fireworks were set off in the family stand during a game last month.

The supporters were banned from the King Power Stadium after the incident at the game against Middlesbrough on January 25.

A club spokesman said: “During the second half, prohibited pyrotechnic items were activated in the family stand, endangering the safety of supporters in the vicinity.

“After a thorough review of in-stadium surveillance and following consultation with Leicestershire Police, the club has issued bans with immediate effect.”

The bans will run up to the end of this season and will be reviewed before the start of the 2014-15 campaign.

The Leicester City spokesman said the club had a zero-tolerance policy against the use of flares and pyrotechnics.

He said: “The welfare of supporters at King Power Stadium is the club’s highest priority and we will continue to work with Leicestershire Police to prevent supporter safety being compromised.

“The club has a zero-tolerance approach to the use of flares, smoke bombs and pyrotechnics of any kind and will impose bans in any future incidents of this nature.”

A Leicestershire Police spokeswoman said: “We are aware of the incident, however, it is a matter between the club and those individuals.”

Leicester City supporters’ representatives praised the club for acting so swiftly.

Lance Tomlin, chairman of the Leicester City Independent Supporters Association, said: “Taking fireworks and the like into a football ground and setting them off is a pretty stupid thing to do.

“These people cannot be genuine fans because their actions could not only harm other fans but could get the club into a lot of trouble.

“I think the club has acted quickly and handed out a suitable punishment. We hope this sends out a clear message that taking anything which could endanger the safety of fellow fans is just not on.

“Thankfully, the vast majority of football fans are decent, law-abiding citizens who would not dream of doing such a thing.”

Earlier this season, a 23-year-old man was issued with a three-year football banning order after admitting in court to throwing a smoke grenade at, or towards, the playing area at the King Power Stadium during the home game against Leeds United in August.

The banning order prevents him from going to Premier League, Football League or international matches for three years. He will also have to surrender his passport before England matches played abroad during that time.

Source: leicestermercury

Leave a Reply