Home > News > Football hooligan jailed and handed six-year match ban after brawl

Football hooligan jailed and handed six-year match ban after brawl

A “high risk” football hooligan who tried to start a fight with rival fans outside a Premiership stadium before brawling with police was jailed on Wednesday.

Dundee United fan Lee Stewart was also handed a six-year football banning order after goading Patrick Thistle supporters outside his club’s Tannadice ground in November.

Stewart was already banned from matches and had been previously jailed for football related disorder at the time of the incident.

Football liaison prosecutor Vicky Bell told Dundee Sheriff Court that Stewart had earlier been seen in the vicinity of the stadium before the match by cops doing routine checks.

Stewart, who was known to police as a “high risk” supporter, told them he had no intention of going to the game, which United won 4-1.

The fiscal depute said that at the end of the match, around 4.45pm, Stewart was then seen by officers outside the ground near where Partick Thistle supporters buses were parked.

She said: “Partick Thistle fans were making their way to their buses and the accused was shouting at them and challenging them to fight.

“The accused saw police officers and ran off back towards Tannadice Street. He was then knocked to the ground by a steward.

“Police caught up with him and told him he was arrested. He shouted ‘come on then you c***s'”

Ms Bell added that Stewart then struggled with officers while shouting and swearing and uttering threats.

She added: “However, he was outnumbered and was arrested.”

Stewart, 21, of Baldovie Gardens, Dundee, pleaded guilty on summary complaint to one charge under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act, and a second of resisting, obstructing or hindering two police officers.

Lemmy Milne, 16, of Maule Street, Carnoustie, and Cameron Healy, 17, of Kingennie Court, Dundee, had their not guilty pleas to the charges accepted by the Crown.

Theo Finlay, defending, said: “He has a record for football offences. He’s now 21-years-old and is clearly attracted to this sort of activity. He can’t keep away from this sort of trouble.”

Sheriff Alistair Brown jailed Stewart for nine months and imposed a football banning order banning him from matches for six years.

Gary Mackay-Steven scored twice in the 4-1 win for Dundee United with Brian Graham and Andrew Robertson also netting.

An Aaron Muirhead penalty had levelled the scores at 1-1 before three goals in 15 minutes won the match for the Tannadice club.

Source; stv

Leave a Reply